Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Long Overdue.....Hoosier!

This post is soooo overdue. I have many posts overdue.... so where do I begin? Since I promised Barbara some weeks ago I would post pictures of my great-grandmother's hoosier cabinet, that's where I will start. When I brought this home it was FILTHY! It had been stored in the basement and probably had not seen the light of day in a half a century! Apparently it was not cleaned before it when into the basement. The lower portion was covered in food spatters....YUCK! Being on there for years, it had permeated the paint. It was obvious I would have to repaint it. I was NOT looking forward to this! It sat in my garage for a month or better. I had to prepare myself for the task ahead.
I began sanding to prepare the surface for it's new coat of paint. Almost immediately I saw something appearing from under the last coat of paint. It was a motif! Similar to the design on the glass door. This was so exciting! I continued to carefully sand until it was completely visable. I traced the pattern to make a stencil. I would put them back in place and the end of the job. And this is how it turn out! I took a little artistic freedom and didn't put all the stencils back in the exact same place. In hindsight I wish I had kept with the original cream color. Or at least an antique white. The white goes great with the enamel top, but it's pretty bright! The flour bin on the left was long gone. So, I repeated the shelving from the right side to the left. One of the things I really like is the fabric lined shelves. I placed batting and fabric over pieces of cardboard made to fit each space. I brought the excess to the back and simply taped it in place. The batting made for a really snug fit.My displays are always a work in progress. I'm really tired of the refrigerator dishes but haven't found enough to replace them yet.

The glasses are Federal and came from my neighbors garage sale this summer!I love my Jadeite bowls, but don't have much to go with them. Plates at a recent auction went for $25 a piece! I'll have to pass at those prices! Maybe someday I'll find some nice pieces.....The chickens up top are another gift from my great-grandmother. She loved her chickens! I didn't know this 'til she passed but she named some of them. Their names written underneath. These are nameless, but they are the two I always remember seeing in her house. They are pretty big! I am so happy to have them!Wondering what's in the appliance "garage?" All my sherbets I got for a single a dollar! Score!And since Barbara let us peek inside hers......here's the inside of mine! Stuff!So, the last part of my story:

On the back of the cabinet was a manufacturer and model number. This company, Marsh Furniture Company, is still in business and they were so helpful! From their catalog in 1937, they sent me copies of the pages featuring my cabinet! Here it is:
The other pages pertained to features and options. My cabinet cost $38.00 seventy years ago. Matching chairs and a table were available. Someday maybe I'll find these canisters!

Thanks for sticking with me and reading such a LONG post! Until next time.......

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Shelley! You did a fabulous job - well worth all of the effort. I love how you did the motifs. And the chickens on top with the feeder - they're really great. I can't believe what Jadeite is going for there. I've been lucky this summer, but I lack a critical bowl to make a nesting set. This post was definitely worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, $38 for it new!? very neat that you found the catalog information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley I'm amazed by this every so "CUTE" cabinet!! I can't believe how it turned out so well and the stenciling details... what a WOW! And getting the info from the manufacturer is the icing on the cake for sure... I enjoyed reading your post!!

    TFS and SMILES!! :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete